Shed destroyed in blaze at Swan Street, Morpeth

Morpeth’s main street was shut for several hours on Tuesday after a fire broke out in a backyard shed.

Firefighters were called out to Swan Street just before 9am to a “well-advanced fire” believed to have started in a bin from discarded fire coals not completely put out.

Fire and Rescue NSW crews from East Maitland, Morpeth, Maitland, Rutherford, Tarro and Mayfield West tackled the blaze for 45 minutes before it was extinguished.

Lower Hunter Fire and Rescue duty commander Troy Kempnich said crews did well to stop the fire from spreading to a shed in an adjacent property as well as the home on site just a few metres away.

Firefighters also had to take measures to control potential asbestos issues.

Crews were on scene for roughly three hours. Swan Street re-opened about 12pm.