ADELAIDE Archbishop Philip Edward Wilson is the main story across national news headlines on Tuesday.
For those who have not followed the trial, here is a rundown of everything you need to know:
Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson, 67, is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse.
Wilson was accused of failing to report to police the repeated abuse of altar boy Peter Creigh by pedophile priest James Fletcher in the NSW Hunter region in the 1970s.
Fletcher was found guilty in December 2004 of nine counts of child sexual abuse.
Mr Creigh, expected Wilson - an assistant priest at the time - to take action after he told him Fletcher repeatedly abused him when he was 10 in 1971.
A second victim, who cannot be named, said he was about 11 in 1976 when he went into a confessional box to tell Wilson how Fletcher had abused him.
Magistrate Robert Stone presided over the hearing in Newcastle Local Court.
Wilson, who is suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, said he could not remember Mr Creigh telling him about the abuse in 1976.
Prosecutor Gareth Harrison claimed Wilson had maintained a "cover-up attitude" since 1976 to protect the church's reputation.
Defence barrister Stephen Odgers SC argued Wilson was not guilty because the case was circumstantial and there was no evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the archbishop was told about the abuse.
The magistrate found Wilson guilty on May 22 of concealing child sex abuse between 2004 and 2006, after Fletcher had been charged with other unrelated child sexual abuse offences and before he died in jail.
Prosecutor Gareth Harrison argued Wilson must be jailed to deter other institutional cover-ups, to denounce the conduct and to recognise the harm done to the victims.
Defence barrister Ian Temby QC said Wilson may not survive being jailed, which would likely worsen his many chronic illnesses and put him at risk of violence from fellow inmates.
Wilson was sentenced on July 3 to 12 months imprisonment with a non-parole period of six months.
But, if deemed suitable, he will serve his sentence via home detention, rather than jail.
The matter was adjourned to August 14 to see if Wilson has been deemed suitable.
Australian Associated Press & Fairfax Media
HOW IT HAPPENED
- WILSON CONVICTED BUT SPARED JAIL
- TRIAL STARTS ON CHARGE HEARD AROUND THE WORLD
- I PLAN TO STAY ON: ARCHBISHOP WILSON
- WILSON ALLEGEDLY TELLS BOY HE SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR LYING
- MOTHER PHONED WILSON
- ARCHBISHOP ‘SHOCKED’ BY SEXUAL ABUSE
- WILSON’S HEARING SET TO CONTINUE
- ARCHBISHOP WANTS ABUSE CASE THROWN OUT
- DEFENCE PUSH FOR ACQUITTAL
- MAGISTRATE REJECTS ARCHBISHOP’S ‘GOOD TENDENCY’ APPLICATION
- ARCHBISHOP LIVED WITH PAEDOPHILE PRIEST
- ‘I DON’T REMEMBER’: ARCHBISHOP WILSON
- EVASIVE ARCHBISHOP ‘CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF’
- POLICE TO EXAMINE THREATS TO CHILD SEX ABUSE VICTIM
- WILSON HEARING NEARING THE END
- WILSON FOUND GUILTY OF COVERING UP CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE
- CATHOLIC COVER-UP COULD LAND ARCHBISHOP IN JAIL
- WILSON STANDS ASIDE AS ARCHBISHOP
- WHEN THE VERDICT CAME DOWN THERE WAS A MOMENT OF SILENCE AND THEN THEY WEPT
- WILSON IS ‘A CONVICTED CRIMINAL IN DENIAL’: VICTIMS
- ARCHBISHOP WILSON’S SPECTACULAR OWN GOAL
- ARCHBISHOP SHOULD BE CONVICTED BUT SPARED A JAIL TERM: DEFENCE
- CONFESSIONAL SEAL MUST BE BROKEN
- TIME TO SEND A MESSAGE: MAGISTRATE URGED TO JAIL WILSON