Aldi Australia has apologised to a Maitland mother after her children discovered part of a Band-Aid in their tin of spaghetti.
Aldi sent Amanda Playford the written apology on Thursday a few hours after she returned the Corale brand spaghetti and the Band-Aid to the Rutherford store.
Ms Playford said the store had offered her a refund of 69 cents or to replace the product with a new tin of spaghetti, but she was not happy with either option.
"I was just gobsmacked ... asking me if I would like a new tin of spaghetti after what my kids found," she said.
"[My kids] said how "grossed out" they were and "how could anyone eat spaghetti again". My kids were quick thinking and warned me straight away.
"I contacted Aldi Australia and reported this incident to warn others to be vigilant when opening tinned food."
Aldi Australia thanked her for returning the Band-Aid to the store in the statement.
"Once again we would like to apologise for your experience," the email said.
"Offering a refund is standard process in store however as per their additional information they supplied to you, this will assist with our investigation."
Ms Playford's children discovered the Band-Aid when they opened the tin on November 11 and started spooning out the contents. They had bought the tin from the Rutherford store the day before.
The "disgusting find" turned them off their plan to enjoy spaghetti on toast and they haven't eaten it since.
An Aldi spokeswoman told the Mercury it was an isolated incident and there had not been any other reports of foreign objects in Corale spaghetti.
Corale is an exclusive Aldi brand and is made in New Zealand.
"We have spoken to the customer and are continuing to investigate this issue as a matter of priority," the spokeswoman said.
"We can confirm the product and object was received today, and will assist us with our ongoing investigation."'
In other news: