Bushfire-affected NSW is facing one of the nation's biggest-ever clean-up efforts, while a state MP has revealed the impact the crisis has had on his mental health.
Coalition frontbencher Andrew Constance says more funds are being made available by the Red Cross with $20,000 per household now accessible for those who have lost everything.
Additional funds will also flow for burn victims and people whose properties were damaged.
"This is not going to be over within weeks, we've got months and years of recovery and rebuilding ahead," Mr Constance said from his seat of Bega on Monday night.
The roads and transport minister urged people to register with Service NSW to access money for clean-up works which will be funded jointly with the federal government.
"It is going to be one of the biggest clean-ups that we've ever seen in our nation's history," he said, adding asbestos would need to be carefully dealt with too.
Mr Constance, who in January temporarily stepped back from his cabinet duties to help out in the ravaged Bega electorate, told ABC's Q and A program thousands of people are dealing with the trauma of this season's fires.
Recounting the day he had to flee his own property in Malua Bay south of Batemans Bay earlier this year, Mr Constance said the impact on him had been profound.
"I saw something that day which I was never, ever expecting to experience," he said on Monday night.
"Im the first to put my hand up. I've cried, I've been hugged, I've been loved but the trauma of this is so profound and it's affecting thousands of people across our regions and we need help."
Some 2400 homes, another 260 facilities and 5200 outbuildings have been destroyed in NSW to date this bushfire season.
The so-called Calabash blaze in the Snowy Monaro region, which was elevated to an emergency warning level on Monday evening, was later downgraded to watch and act.
The bushfire south of Canberra started as a spot fire from the Orroral Valley blaze in the ACT.
RFS spokesman James Morris says building impact assessment crews are still to determine how many homes were lost in Saturday's fires in the Bega Valley and on the South Coast.
Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Abrar Shabren says recent rain has helped little.
"We did see some rainfall on the Erskine Creek fire near the Blue Mountains but it wasn't as much as we saw in the central and mid north coast parts of the state and not enough to suppress fires," he said.
Winds switched around on Monday evening making firefighting tougher.
Mr Shabren said the change should bring cooler temperatures and lower humidity which would continue throughout the week. More rain is expected at the end of the week.
Crews used more favourable conditions on Sunday to contain the Morton fire which has burnt more than 23,000 hectares in the Southern Highlands and the 334,000-hectare Dunns Road blaze in the Snowy Mountains.
Strong winds and high temperatures on Saturday night pushed the massive 177,000-hectare Border fire north towards Bega Valley while three separate blazes burning southwest of the region merged.
Bega Valley Shire Council Mayor Kristy McBain says the weekend losses will push the total number of properties destroyed in the Bega Valley to more than 400.
There are also unconfirmed reports five structures were lost when the out-of-control Clear Range blaze - created from embers that spread from the ACT's large Orroral Valley fire - flared up on Saturday night.
Australian Associated Press