Northern NSW Football will stand down 60 per cent of its staff for at least two months following the extension of Football Federation Australia's suspension of the game until at least May 31 because of the coronavirus pandemic.
NNSWF, which has 30 full-time staff, made the announcement on Friday that its operations would be scaled back from April 13.
The NNSWF board met on Wednesday to look at projections and scenarios from its management team, which had been working with clubs to prepare for a potential return of football this year.
The suspension in mid-March was originally until at least April 14 but the pandemic, and government restrictions to inhibit it, have grown, forcing the extension.
NNSWF said a a skeleton team would remain in place "to guide the sport through the prolonged suspension and provide ongoing support to member zones and clubs".
"Our board of directors is committed to ensuring the long-term financial stability of our game across NNSW," NNSWF chief David Eland said.
"Although the organisation has become far less reliant on player registration fees, our alternate revenue streams still closely align to football activities, including the Lake Macquarie Regional Football Facility."
Eland said NNSWF looked forward to welcoming back those affected.
"NNSWF is continuing to work closely with FFA, member federations, member zones and engaging with the federal and state government in relation to financial support during this difficult period," he said.