Firefighters have been responding to a surge in the number of car fires across the region - a worrying sign as the Hunter hopes for no increase in ignition risks heading into the bushfire danger period.
Since the start of last week, Fire and Rescue NSW crews have been called to car fires at Abermain, Salamander Bay, Tingira Heights, Teralba, Stockton, Newcastle, Lambton, Cessnock, Merewether and East Maitland.
It comes as the Rural Fire Service looks to the upcoming bushfire season, starting October 1 in the Lower Hunter and September 1 in Singleton, Muswellbrook and the Upper Hunter.
RFS Lower Hunter commander Superintendent Martin Siemsen said car fires were an ongoing issue.
"They're a concern for us from the perspective of starting fires," he said.
"We've had a number of fires - not recently but statistics show - start from car fires and that's concerning.
"We factor that in as another ignition source to bushfires and we just have to accept that, I suppose, in the face of how we manage things."