Justis Huni's return to the ring is under a cloud after the Australian heavyweight champion tested positive to COVID-19.
The world title hope this month flew to the US for a training camp ahead of a February 4 date with Joe Goodall in Brisbane.
Struggling with a cough, aches, pains and breathing difficulties, Huni confirmed the positive case on Wednesday.
He will miss at least a week of training, the fight's status hinging on the 22-year-old maintaining his fitness and being ready to resume his program beyond that.
Justis and his father and trainer Rocki, who were wary of their movements since landing in the US and are both double-vaccinated, are currently quarantining in their LA accommodation.
The Goodall fight is set to be Huni's first since his Olympic medal dream was dashed due to a hand injury that required surgery following his win over ex-NRL star Paul Gallen last June.
That setback came after he had recovered from a serious concussion suffered when he fell headfirst onto concrete while skylarking with friends.
"Tell me about it," Huni said of his run of setbacks.
"It's pretty unfortunate ... over the next week we'll see how my health is. If my fitness is still there it'll go ahead (but) I can't go into this fight underdone."
After running out of sparring partners in Queensland, Huni headed to the US earlier this month to team up with Manny Pacquaio's strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune in Los Angeles.
His camp had also lined up dinner with heavyweight legend Mike Tyson before an altitude training regime in Colorado under world-renowned conditioner Abel Sanchez.
"It was going well, I've been doing a lot with Justin Fortune, learning a lot of new tricks," Huni said.
Both men are unbeaten in the professional ranks, with Goodall's 2014 Commonwealth Games silver and 2017 world championship bronze an indication of his legitimacy.
Promoter Dean Lonergan said the fight would either go ahead as planned or be rescheduled - but not canned altogether.
"It's a hell of an important fight for us, it's a fight we want at some stage and it'll happen," he said.
"The plan was for Justis to fight seven times this year (so if it's delayed it will) be six instead.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.