Kurri Kurri Bulldogs committee members want proper fencing after six attempted break-ins

Kurri Kurri Bulldogs committee members would like to see proper fencing installed at the ground after six attempted break-ins in a year.

On Sunday, a Bulldogs fan drove past just before midday and saw a suspicious car parked at the sportsground.

The fan went to see what was going on and the two people fled the scene in the car.

Bulldogs secretary Jeff Polglase said the fence had been cut and an extension cord inside one of the buildings had been damaged, but nothing had been taken.

The extension cord, which cost about $10, is used by a Work for the Dole group which operates out of the sportsground.

It came after one of the brick storage sheds was also damaged on New Years Eve.

Mr Polglase said after a string of break-ins last year, the club decided to add extra security to the roller door, which he believed prevented the person from getting into the building on December 31.

But he said it was the inconvenience of the damage that was the most frustrating.

“It just goes on and on,” he said.

“It’s not like there’s much in there they could sell.”

In September, someone jimmied under one of the shed’s roller doors and stole a set of two-way radio headphones valued at about $3500.

Two whipper snippers and cords and a service pack for a ride-on mower were also stolen from the ground in break-ins last year.

Mr Polglase said proper fencing at the ground, which is owned by Cessnock City Council, would prevent thieves from accessing the premises.

DAMAGE: Kurri Kurri Bulldogs ground manager Chris Doyle inspects the hole that vandals cut to gain access to the ground on Sunday.

DAMAGE: Kurri Kurri Bulldogs ground manager Chris Doyle inspects the hole that vandals cut to gain access to the ground on Sunday.

The wire fence currently in place has had to be patched up numerous times after vandals have cut it to gain entry.

Cessnock City Council has investigated the cost to repair the existing fence as well as the price to install a new fence.

A council spokesperson said that neither project had funding allocated for any works to be undertaken.   

“Cessnock City Council continues to seek opportunities for external funding for suitable projects and also encourages user groups and community organisations who wish to submit grant applications to state or federal agencies for upgrades or works to council owned and managed facilities,” the spokesperson said.

Mr Polglase said it was too much work to apply for more grants, having organised roughly $250,000 in grant funding for various projects in the last eight years.

Anyone who has information about the break-ins should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop