Rain sparked a huge flow of entries in the Maitland Show and could now, ironically, make it come undone.
Heavy showers on Thursday and rain predicted on Friday and over the weekend has organisers worried that families may choose not to come out in the wet weather.
Showground manager Brett Gleeson said everyone could still have a fun day out at the show - with gumboots on their feet, a raincoat and an umbrella.
"All of the pavilions are under cover, so it's just a matter of walking between them. All of the pavilions have a lot to offer - there is plenty of things to see," he said.
"There's under cover seating in the showground grandstand as well so the crowd can be protected from the elements while they watch the events in the ring.
"We hope people will still come out and support this event."
There is a 70 per cent chance of rain on Friday, a 60 per cent chance on Saturday and a 40 per cent chance on Sunday. Temperatures will be between 21 and 28 on Friday, 18 and 33 on Saturday and 20 and 29 on Sunday.
Thunderstorms, and wind, are also expected on Saturday night.
A low pressure trough over inland NSW, and another offshore, is the cause of the bad weather - according to the Bureau of Meteorology.
Entrants in the cattle and horse sections have a lot riding on the Maitland Show.
There have already been 16 shows cancelled across the state - due to the drought or bushfires, and competitors need to qualify for the zone round or gain points to be able to enter the Sydney Royal Easter Show.
"The lead classes and the riding classes should be okay unless it is absolutely bogged up. Competitors are very keen to get points so they can get to the Sydney Royal and they are travelling a long way to come here," Mr Gleeson said.
The goats aren't subjected to the same points system, but one exhibitor has already been forced to pull out.
"One of the goat breeders has been forced to cancel because she has been flooded in, which is unfortunate," Mr Gleeson said.
The rodeo on Friday night will still go ahead at this stage but the tent pegging in the main arena is in doubt.
"We can't be upset at the rain, after all every thing needs water - (that's the theme of our show for this year), except us right now," he said.
"We've thought of little things to entertain the kids. There will be farm animals and small trucks on a big table so the kids can keep busy for a few minutes while mum and dad look at the photography exhibition.
"There is a lot to see, often the kids have more fun when there's puddles to jump in. Just because it is raining doesn't mean that the show isn't a fun activity."