The Department of Family and Community Services has refused to comment on why a toddler killed at Tarro was allowed to return to her family home after she was hospitalised in the weeks preceding her death.
The 20-month-old girl died on June 19 after suffering numerous serious injuries, including facial, head, and torso bruising, abrasions, and lacerations; broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and internal bleeding.
But police claim the incident wasn’t isolated.
Police said the girl had been admitted to hospital with other injuries in the weeks before her death, then returned to her family home upon discharge.
A Family and Community Services (FACS) spokesperson wouldn’t comment when asked about the department’s involvement with the family and what actions it took, but said they were saddened to hear about the young girl’s death.
“FACS offers this little girl’s family our deepest sympathy for their loss,” the spokesperson said.
“As the NSW Police are currently investigating the circumstances of the death, FACS will not be making any further comment.”
Minister for Family and Community Services Pru Goward also refused to comment on the situation.
“The death of any young person is a tragedy,” she said.
“My thoughts are with the family of the young girl at this time.
“As this is currently a police matter, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”
Hunter New England Local Health District acting executive director of children, young people and families, Pat Marks too extended her condolences to the family following the tragic event.
“We will provide any assistance required to authorities into the investigation,” she said.